Thursday, April 26, 2007

Technology Enhanced Curriculum

Romano's fictional classroom of Mrs. Robinson and her son's sounds workable in theory. The balance of traditional teaching and technology seem an easy fit. He addresses several issues: time, cost, grades, availability, software, training, etc... and gives plausible resolutions to some foreseeable problems. It is apparent though that his vision is dated. He didn't mention how podcasts, webcasts, wikis, ipods, smart boards, and other technologies can be used, in my opinion, to build a better technology enhanced curriculum. I foresee more project based integration, with students given a problem, topic, or task and asked to research and then develop a project that shows their understanding while working in teams, not only in class, but through distance learning. I do see the need for subject specific software that has the ability to tutor remedially, but only in limited usage. Students need to be able to collaborate with each other and peer tutor. As I was looking for other schools technology enhanced curriculum's, I came across the New Century School House @http://landmark-project.com/ncsh/index.php. It was cool to see the ideas of other educators perfect technology integrated classrooms. I was disappointed that there wasn't more details as to how curriculum would be taught, but I loved the concept.

No comments: